1/17/13

arrangance

A friend quoted me on Facebook as saying "At some point I decided I am 'smart' at math". I read that and felt a twinge of "man, that sounds arrogant".

However, I did say that. And I am arrogant about math. But in context, I was trying to argue that arrogance is a useful tool for understanding things.

Here's a caricature of what I mean:

♔ : I think I'm bad at math. Oh, here's an explanation of a math thing. I don't understand it. I guess I am bad at math. Oh, here's someone talking about a math thing. I didn't understand what they said. I guess I'll nod my head so they don't realize I'm bad at math.

♛ : I think I'm good at math. Oh, here's an explanation of a math thing. I don't understand it. What a crappy explanation. I'll try reading something else.. [time passes].. [much more time passes].. man, I finally understand that. I guess I am good at math! Oh, here's someone talking about a math thing. I didn't understand what they said. I'll tell them so, and ask them to explain it.

No comments:

Post a Comment