12/26/12

more on decisions

I can do what feels very much like consciously proactively making a decision. I just picked up a pen on my desk, and put it back down, for no other reason than prove to myself that I could decide to do it.

I can do what feels very much like unconsciously passively making decisions. I just walked to the store and bought some groceries, and a Subway sandwich, and I ate the sandwich, and I did this all on a sort of auto-pilot.

I cannot seem to observe myself making either of these kinds of decisions. If my introspective eye is watching to observe a passive or active decision be made, it is not made, and I just keep waiting. It is like trying to watch myself fall asleep. I can only fall asleep or make a decision when I stop watching. Or so it seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment